Sort of felt like 2007 (my favorite year in music of all time) all over again with the artists that gave us releases this year. Anyway, here are my ten favorite.
10) Aromanticism by Moses Sumney – Magical, powerful, sultry and heartbreaking. A definite grower.
9) ken by Destroyer – Dan Bejar is like the individual version of Spoon, an artist who churns out consistently good records, that it probably ends up hurting them in the end.
8) Melodrama by Lorde – Very spacious and a well-balanced record, Melodrama is a great pop album front to back. Lorde reminds me of a fellow Australian artist who I love, Missy Higgins.
7) american dream by LCD Soundsystem – Honestly, I didn’t want to LCD Soundsystem to reform. Thank God they did.
6) Humanz by Gorllaz – A little less Damon Albarn and a little more guest features actually did this album wonders. I admit, as a whole, this album sometimes feel incoherent, but I just love so many tracks from this to make it a satisfying experience.
5) MASSEDUCTION by St. Vincent – Experimental without being overbearing, this album is inventive, colorful and fun with great production value. Do yourselves a favor and listen to the song New York, probably the most soul-baring song of 2017.
4) Sleep Well Beast by The National – A slow burner that reaps the listener with great reward, The National adds another great album to their already illustrious career.
3) DAMN by Kendrick Lamar – Listen to this album front to back, or back to front, it really doesn’t matter. DAMN is fantastic and an album where Kendrick pushes boundaries on what records should be once again.
2) Ctrl by SZA – SZA simply has a voice that commands your undivided attention. Soulful, laid back and genuine. Ctrl is the best debut LP of the year, and one that elevates SZA along with the best of them.
1) Life Will See You Now by Jens Lekman – Like most of his records, this one manages to capture my heart with catchy hooks and clever lyrics. My most spun record this year, it’s a surprise to me how this one flew under most people’s radars. Jens Lekman is a master storyteller, a funny comedian, a virtuoso artist and a genius. It’s almost impossible not to smile while listening to his music.